War in Ukraine: a watershed moment for European defence policy and transatlantic security?
The event will be livestreamed here and on Politico Live’s online platforms.
Russia’s war in Ukraine has fundamentally shaken Europe’s sense of its own security. European governments are urgently reviewing their defense plans and ramping up military spending. And the EU itself wants to get much more serious about defense.
After years when European defense policy was seen as low priority and politically polarizing, shock at the war in Ukraine has prompted governments to blow the dust off of this file and give it new impetus. Could this be the time when Europe seizes the moment to craft a common, modern defense policy?
Questions to be addressed include:
• Has Russia’s invasion of Ukraine triggered a fundamental shift in European policymakers’ attitudes to defense?
• Does Europe need a new policy to protect itself from nuclear attack?
• Does the EU’s Strategic Compass point the way to a bold new path in security policy or leave Europe standing still?
• How will plans to ramp up military spending in Germany and other EU countries affect the bloc’s defense capabilities as a whole?
• Will the crisis prompt Europe to move toward strategic autonomy or bond more closely with the United States and NATO?
• How far can Europe go in revamping energy, technology and trade policy to make the Continent more secure and more resistant to external shocks?
This POLITICO Live event will deep dive into Europe’s new defense debate, looking at the implications for the Continent’s defense sector, nuclear policy, strategic autonomy and much more.